Rajha Shakiry‘s design work has been selected to represent the best of UK scenography at the V&A this summer. Images and sound from Shakiry’s design for internationally acclaimed play I Stand Corrected (Mojisola Adebayo), will be shown alongside design work also chosen to be shown at Prague Quadrennial International Design Convention 2015.
The London-based designer and producer was one of 23 chosen specifically to exhibit work at the V&A. The selection was made – with great difficulty, say the judges – from 150 excellent designers who had exhibited work at the Society of British Theatre Designers’ National Exhibition, Make:Believe, in January 2015. The selection criteria were as follows:
* Work that represents the length, breadth and depth of contemporary performance design in the UK – both geographically and in terms of scale, genre and disciplines.
* Work that demonstrates excellence in skills, vision and commitment.
* Work in which the scenographic elements are clearly unified within the performance.
* Work that is forward looking and that emphasises consideration of the relationship between the audience and performance:
- through the designer’s input being integral to the work
- through an essential engagement with space and context (of place, occasion, community)
* Work that grapples with the UK’s identity, our history, politics and our future, including how we relate to the rest of the world.
More details of exhibition dates to follow!